Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sketching the Manet Exhibition at the RA

I went to see the exhibition Manet - Portraying Life at the Royal Academy of Arts on Thursday.
I took advantage of the seats in the different rooms to stop and record the life within the exhibition in my pen and ink - and coloured pencil - sketches in my Moleskine sketchbook.

The Status Portraits Room
Manet - Portraying Life at the Royal Academy of Arts
8" x 10", pen and sepia ink in Moleskine sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
Manet's portraits of his wife - with cat
Manet - Portraying Life at the Royal Academy of Arts
8" x 10", pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils in Moleskine sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
The walls are painted a very dark charcoal colour - presumably because of Manet's liking for black and dark greys.  It makes for a very sombre exhibition.

The two portraits of his wife are two of the paintings I liked best in the exhibition.

Here's my "headlines" Exhibition Review: Manet - Portraying Life at the RA

You can see more of my sketching of exhibitions on this blog

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a nice arts collection. I am so wonder after visit your amazing creative work. I am waiting for your another post !!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy