The titles of blog posts are highlighted in bold. Videos are highlighted in
Sunday 27th September - there are going to be three small posts
- Travelling to Paris (one sketch) - an interesting story plus an introduction to my companions and hotel
- Eating International in Paris (two sketches) - two sketches from a restaurant that isn't serving French food!
- Sunday afternoon in the Jardin des Plantes (two sketches) - in which I visit the main botanical garden in Paris
Monday 28th September - two posts
- Petit dejeuner @ Dolce e Amaro - I did a sketch every morning in the cafe where I took breakfast. This is the record of an Italian cafe in Paris!
- Musée de l'Orangerie, Tuileries, Notre Dame and St Germain - this was a major walking day and I only got one sketch done - while I sat out the queues for Sainte Chapelle. However I do have YouTube Videos of:
- Monet's Nympheas (the Grand Decorations) in the revamped Orangerie for those who have not seen them before. See
Monet's Waterlilies at the Musée de l'Orangerie Paris.
- Plus Monet's waterlilies (slideshow), Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris
- a rather noisy Panorama of the Louvre and Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel
- A day in the Musee d'Orsay. No sketches because this time I actually had a camera which took decent photos but didn't flash indoors which gave me the opportunity to record masses of paintings on my camera - so long as I didn't flash(!) and I spent the whole day here - apart from a quick trip to the Sennelier shop!
- However I did manage to make a YouTube Video of the Van Gogh paintings, Musée d'Orsay
- Dining out in Paris - Montmartre and Saint-Germain-des-Pres - Two sketches from dinners in Montmartre (Tuesday) and the Latin Quarter (Wednesday) plus photos.
Thursday 1st October - Off to Normandy in our hire car. First stop Giverny (one sketch of The Water Garden at Giverny, masses of photos and a video of walking around the water garden); next stop overnight in Rouen. (See also The garden behind the paintings - Giverny on Making A Mark and 1st October - Visiting Giverny for background information)
Friday 2nd October - Two sketches of Rouen Cathedral - at midnight and break of day. Both were done from my hotel bed (right next to the cathedral)! See Sketching Rouen Cathedral - from my hotel bed! (Background: 2nd October: Rouen and Normandy)
Plus a sketch of the Auberge du Terroir, Servon (near Mont St Michel) where we had the best restaurant meal of the trip.
Saturday 3rd October - a sketch of Petit déjeuner at the Château de Boucéel followed by a sketch of Le Mont-Saint-Michel (done from the back seat of the car in the car park!) (Background: 3rd October: Mont St. Michel)
Sunday 4th October - lots of laundry and settling in - plus a sketch of the view from the dining room in our cottage at Chateau du Plessis plus a visit to Ronell and her atelier in Montlouis-sur Loire. (Background: 4th October: Meeting up with Ronell)
Monday 5th October - a visit to Château d'Azay-le-Rideau (Background: Azay le Rideau). There was no time for sketching as it was raining and we were on a heavy duty day visiting chateaux!
Plus two sketches of the gardens at Château de Villandry in the afternoon (Background: Villandry) - and a video of the garden
Tuesday 6th October - a visit to Chinon (Background: Chinon). and a sketch of people lunching in the sunshine under the trees in the town square in Dejeuner sous l'arbres.
Followed by a visit in the afternoon to The Château d'Ussé which is the castle which apparently inspired Perrault's tale La Belle au Bois dormant (maybe better known as Sleeping Beauty)
Wednesday 7th October - a visit to market and medieval part of Tours in the morning (Background: Tours) plus sketching over lunch with fellow Sketcherciser and Watermarks member Ronell van Wyk and another sketch of the chateau garden. You can already read about Ronell's post about this on her blog in Katherine in Touraine
Thursday 8th October - This was the big trip to the Château de Chenonceau (Background: Château de Chenonceau). I attempted a sketch of the Château de Chenonceau with its arches over the river - not easy - but was very disappointed that one end was covered in scaffolding.
Friday 9th October - Friday morning saw us on the road for the long drive back to Paris with a deadline to meet so my sister and niece could catch their plane. (Background: 9th October - the end of the Grand Tour!) . We dropped off the car at the Gare de nord, my sister and niece headed off to L'aeroport Charles de Gaulle and I took the metro to La Mouette to visit the Musée Marmottan. Two sketches of Monet paintings of the water garden and one sketch while having a quick snack before boarding the Eurostar to come back to London - to be met by "he who must not be bored while I sketch"!
I'd just like to record before I get started that I actually finished the trip weighing less than when I went. Which means that Sketchercise very definitely works! I relaxed the diet just a little bit (odd glass of wine and a bit of cheese now and again) but did lots of walking as well as sketching.
Sketches have been posted to this page as they are published as blog posts. You can also see a gallery of all my sketches in France in Katherine Tyrrell travels with a sketchbook in France on my portfolio website.