This is his Moleskine Sketchbook completed during one week in Oran, Algeria.
Here's some things to note about Enrique's approach to sketching:
- Lots and lots of sketches - he's sketching all the time and/or sketches very fast and so he fills a sketchbook in a week.
- He's not trying to be a camera (ie photographic); he's focusing on impressions and what interests him
- His sketches are simple, clear and have a lot of impact
- It's mainly a graphic approach to sketching - line and flat colour
- Flat watercolour goes on faster than gradated washes - and he makes good use of lots of areas of flat colour.
- He typically has sketches which have good composition - he always finds the big shapes and works with them
- He draws lots of people - which make a place come alive.
- He focuses more of proportion than accurate drawing of individuals
- He never overworks
- He comments on his blog that he has a 'redraw obsession' - but drawing again things you have drawn before is never a bad idea in my book!
- see more of Enrique's sketchbooks on his acuarelista channel on YouTube
- bookmark the sketchbooks page on his website
- read his illustration blog