|My sketching travel kit |
laid out before my trip to Venice
- lots of lightweight canvas pencil wraps!
photo Katherine Tyrrell
This is my travel kit for artwork abroad – all of this goes in the luggage and on the plane! And when I'm being very ambitious or going on a long trip my pastels go to!
At the moment I'm in the middle of sorting out what I'm packing for my next big trip to California, Arizona and New Mexico. I pack the art stuff first and then weigh and see how much I've got left for clothes. Priorities! Tonight I packed my pencil wraps with coloured pencils having visited the art shop earlier in the day to get new supplies of the Daler Rowney sketchbook I use on every trip. I'll also be taking a new Moleskine.
However, you don't have to take all of this. Each individual has their own individual perspective on what they need. All are equally valid - it's whatever it takes to make you feel you can do good work. Mind you, my opinions have been honed through much travel and carrying supplies around. My on-board luggage tends to contain the expensive art supplies, a change of underwear and a clean Tshirt!
My essentials include:
- Sketchbooks and/or small blocks of hot press watercolour paper (I use Arches HP) plus a portfolio of different coloured/types of drawing support
- Small foam core board - cut to fit the suitcase
- Clips to hold paper in place and/or sketchbook paper from flapping in a breeze
- Mechanical pencils (require no sharpening and you can vary the hardness/softness of the 'leads')
- Coloured pencils – sorted into colour groups – in pencils rolls
- Two pencils cases (warm and cool colours) containing shorties for ‘lightweight' trips
- a waterbrush if you're taking watercolour pencils (or a small pan of watercolours)
- Small light electric sharpener (for sharpening points in the evening.
- A small handheld sharpener for daytime
- Camera + battery charger + socket conversion kit + spare batteries
- A folding chair (I'm much more comfortable with back support - this one has travelled thousands of miles)
- Very strong bungee cord to hold folding chair together
- Folding mac and umbrella
- Protective creams for sun and bugs
- Good footwear for all that walking!
- Sack with lots of pockets enabling easy location of different bits of art gear. I now use a backpack.
- Guidebooks / maps(so as not to get lost!)
- bottle of water
Technorati tags: art , drawing , coloured pencils , moleskine , pencil , sketching , sketchbook