Thursday, February 02, 2012

Cornish Cream Tea at the Wallace Restaurant

Cornish Cream Tea at the Wallace Restaurant, Wallace Collection
11" x 16", pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils in Moleskine Sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
Last Friday I was totally clueless. I trotted off to meet up with the Drawing London Group without checking the location, taking the print-out of the email or taking my mobile with me!

Which is how come I came to draw paintings of Venice by Bonington and Canaletto in the Wallace Collection (to follow in the next post) - while everybody else was sketching at the Museum of London.

Duh!

Anyway, I had a great time followed by a visit to the Wallace Restaurant (run by the omnipresent Peyton & Byrne) for a very late lunch which turned into a Cornish Cream Tea instead as they'd run out of the dish I wanted for lunch.

I'll get verbally shot if "he who must not be bored while I sketch" sees this!  Cream teas are banned - we're both on a diet!

The details are:
  • on the left finger sandwiches with the crusts cut off (naturally!) - egg mayonnaise, tomato and cucumber, ham and smoked salmon
  • a very nice scone and Cornish clotted cream and preserves (very nice!)
  • Jasmine tea
As always I got some funny looks from the waiters while drawing this before eating.  I then progressively ate my way through it very slowly while getting the colours right.

It's a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon sketching........

9 comments:

  1. You got a lovely sketch out of it, at any rate! Sorry about the mixup though, sounds like something I might do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect mistake. Hope you didn't get caught out with the cream tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to think that if you had taken your e-mail or mobile with you we may not have got to see this wonderful sketch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sketch is really beautiful. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so so interesting, absolutely love your take on things Katherine,maybe you could consider being a food writer/critic, I find myself wanting to try everything you portray and describe !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pleeeeeeeease can somebody ask me to be a food critics who does sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine - I was lucky enough to participate in a Draw London group last fall with Marcia Teusink, I'm wondering if it's the same group? I am back in the states now, missing sketching in London very much, so your sketches (and the memories of tea) are such a treat! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not a name I know - so not our Draw London group.

    Glad you like the cream tea.

    I am of course contemplating developing a series come the summer...... ;)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy