Saturday, February 11, 2012

Victoria Park: The Chinese Pagoda and the new Island

The Chinese Pagoda and the new Island
165mm x 240mm, pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils on Mountboard
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
I've forgotten to post one of my Postcard from my Walk sketches.  I posted earlier news of A new Chinese Pagoda for Victoria Park - which tells of the history behind the old and the new pagodas and Victoria Park on the Tower Hamlets/Hackney border in East London.

This postcard - which is now in Germany - shows it off within its context of the new island created when they dug a new channel.  The channel has incredibly steep sides - I can see quite a few children rolling down that and into the water!

In reality there was still scaffolding up when I did the sketch and there were very large barrier fences between me and what is still in effect a building site

However we've having a lot of sunny crisp days this winter.  That helped me to be able to draw the green and red colours of the new pagoda on a sunny day within the context of the acidic yellow as the sun shines on the new turf and the warm brown apricot shades of some of the trees.

I forgot to sign my postcard - but Albrecht said he knew immediately who it was from!

1 comment:

  1. this displays a certain fineness- couldn't figure out if its the lighting or the color... maybe something else

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy