Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Setting up Pure Gold at the Mall Galleries

Finishing the Hang of Pure Gold
11.5" x 17", pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
Yesterday I was at the Mall Galleries for the press preview of the Pure Gold exhibition which celebrates the 50th birthday of the Federation of British Artists.

The exhibition had been hung and there were people finishing off labels and all those final details which take time but need to be got right.  I love watching people working on an exhibition so when I'd finished having a good look round I did this sketch.  Mostly people were engaged in non-stop activity so I thought I was only going to be able to sketch the gallery - until I realised I'd got the chance for a bit of "man up stepladder" activity off on the far left.

I've also got some photographs of those doing the meticulous hang of the sign for the Society of Wildlife Artists.  It could make a great drawing!

More about the exhibition - which opens today - on Making A Mark later today. [UPDATE - see "Pure Gold": an exhibition celebrating 50 years of the FBA]

After this I trotted up to Christies to go and view the Impressionist works - paintings and drawings - which are being auctioned today, sketched a Bonnard, had a quick look at the Illustrators exhibition at the Christ Beetles Gallery and then finished off with a sketch of people having tea in Fortnum and Masons.  More sketches later this week

Then went home via Waterstones - which have now redeemed themselves in the art book department (where I spent some time and money) - and bought an A3 size Moleskine Folio Sketchbook - you can see/read about it here on Making A Mark reviews - see Moleskine Folio Sketchbook - A3 size

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy