Friday, July 03, 2009

The Millenium Bridge - The view that nobody draws

When the Millenium Bridge over the River Thames opened, lots of photographers and artists rushed to make the most of the stunning vista created which had the bridge and people in the foreground and St Pauls Cathedral in the background. (Everybody who has watched The Apprentice will know this view!)

Tate Modern and the Millenium Bridge from the north
11.5" x 8.5", pencil and coloured pencils in Daler Rowney sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

This is the view the other way round. I'm sat on one of the benches on Peter's Hill - just above Victoria Street - looking down the remainder of Peter's Hill to the Millenium Bridge and the Tate Modern.

I then walked from here to Tower Hill in 30+ degree C heat at around 7pm in the evening. Everybody was out making the most of the heatwave before the thunderstorms start today. The bars along the riverside were heaving with people as were all the pleasure craft cruising up and down the river. In fact I don't think I've seen the riverside quite so busy in a long while!

I idly thought about walking all the way home along the river and the Regents Canal - which is perfectly feasible - but maybe not on such a hot evening. My ankles said "No", I listened and I caught the tube home.

Sketchercise: 7160 steps, 3.395 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy