Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Leaning Dome of St. Paul's Cathedral

It wasn't until I got home that I realised that I'd drawn that well known new tourist attraction The Leaning Dome of St Paul's Cathedral while sketching the spectacular views from the roof terrace of One New Change on Friday.

The "Leaning" Dome of St Paul's Cathedral
11" x 8", pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils in Moleskine Sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
I really should learn to repeatedly check my verticals because I know I've got a tendency to lean one way when it comes to verticals!

I used to draw the interior of St Paul's Cathedral and always started by drawing a vertical line right down the centre of my page so I could keep track of the verticals as I looked up and down!

See my website for more drawings of the interior of St Paul's and the view of St Paul's from the South Bank of the River Thames

4 comments:

  1. :>) lovely sketch though

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lovely sketch.

    I also have captured this famous leaning landmark, although I think it was leaning the other way on the day I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so much more charming and interesting this way, showing a bit of the artist instead of just the building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like all your sketches of St. Paul, Katherine. And I smile with Sue Pownall who thinks "it was leaning the other way on the day I visited." St. Paul's has a special feeling for me-- odd for an American, perhaps-- but it has to do with the Blitz, which we felt strongly in my family because my aunt worked for British transportation in New York City during The War and kept us updated daily. And in a film I saw, years later, Churchill is supposed to have said to the fire fighters, "Don't let St. Paul burn." Maybe he felt it was an ikon for Londoners, something to focus hope on? I heard that many people did walk to St. Paul's during the fires and waited there.

    annie

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy